During the second half of the 19thcentury many immigrants came to the United States to work in textile mills, copper mines, factories and quarries. Often the Church was the center of their community life.
Between 1886 -1888 a Finnish Lutheran Church was built in Jacobsville, Michigan. The bell tower of this church has an inscription in Finnish. Translated it is: Come let us go up to the mountain of the Lord to the house of the God of Jacob. Isaiah 2:3
This church has been restored, and every Sunday during the summer a vesper service is held in the evening, followed by coffee and desserts in the community center. We have enjoyed visiting and participating in the worship service.